- Brooks Marmon
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Zimbabwe, Southern Africa, West Africa, Liberia, Cold War, decolonization, higher education, Transnational History
I am a historian interested in Cold War era sub-Saharan Africa. My thesis examines the impact of decolonization across southern Africa on political developments in Zimbabwe.
I also have extensive experience in Liberia, a country I examined for my Master's thesis and in which I worked for two years prior to joining CAS.
Sara Rich Dorman & Emma Hunter
MA, Atlantic History, Clark University. 2008
BA, Global History, Clark University. 2007
- "The Liberation of Zimbabwe and the Pan-African Leadership of Liberian President William Tolbert Jr.: Passive, Pragmatic, or Principled?" Liberian Studies Journal, Vol. 38, No. 1 (116 - 141).
- "Winter is Coming: Riots and Refugees in Colonial Zimbabwe, July 1960." 7th European Conference on African Studies. Basel, Switzerland. July 1, 2017.
- “The OAU, Zimbabwe, and African Liberation: Reconsidering the Legacy of Liberian President William Tolbert.” 59th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association. Washington, DC. December 2, 2016.
- “Decolonization & European Refugees in Africa: The Mobilization of Kenya’s Settlers for ‘Operation Congo.’” 56th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association. Baltimore, MD. November 22, 2013.
- “An Examination of Liberia’s ‘Special Relationship’ with the USA: the US State Visits of Presidents W.V.S. Tubman and Samuel K. Doe.” 45th Annual Meeting of the Liberian Studies Association. Rutgers, NJ. April 4, 2013.
- “‘American in Effort and yet so very un-American in Result:’ The International Political and Social Milieu of Liberia College, 1880-1912.” 40th Annual Conference of the Liberian Studies Association. Toledo, Ohio. March 29, 2008.
- “The American Society of African Culture Reconsidered: A Policy of Pragmatic Protest for Southern Africa, 1957-1967.” Boston University 16th Annual Graduate Student Conference in African Studies. Boston, MA. March 15, 2008.
University of Liberia, Kofi Annan Institue for Conflict Transformation. The Liberation of Zimbabwe and the Pan-African Leadership of President William R. Tolbert, Jr. Monrovia, Liberia, 2016.
African Methodist Episcopal University, Coca-Cola Institute. The Implications & Lessons of Presidential Leadership: The Recent Cases of Nigeria & Burundi. Monrovia, Liberia, 2015.